Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unsubscribe to spam email

I was going through my junk email on apple mail when I accidentally unsubscribe to a spam email and when I went to my sent folder there was a email saying “apple mail sent this to unsubscribe from the message “ to the spam .

what should I do ? Is my iPhone going to get hacked? Should I be worried about anything?

am I going to get a virus or malware on my iPhone ? Is it safe ?

i change my email password just in case if anything happens. Nothing has happened yet everything seems fine . I’m just worried

what do I do if something happens?

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 12:25 AM

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed on your device or/and have Jail Broken. 

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password etc with your friends and family members.

Be careful when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

Thumb Rules:

1. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jail Break
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device and payment methods
  5. Beware of Phishing
  6. Use a strong password for all the Apple IDs created and used by you --> If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple ...

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 12:25 AM in response to Kitten_cat

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed on your device or/and have Jail Broken. 

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password etc with your friends and family members.

Be careful when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

Thumb Rules:

1. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jail Break
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device and payment methods
  5. Beware of Phishing
  6. Use a strong password for all the Apple IDs created and used by you --> If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple ...

Mar 17, 2021 5:47 AM in response to Kitten_cat

Kitten_cat wrote:

Everything seems to be fine so far I haven’t gotten any spam emails or nothing I just still worried it’s not safe

Maybe you want to learn more and fear less?

Here are two links to information on how we are targeted and some examples of the many sorts of scams:

Scam Pop-ups, Scam Viruses, Scam Receipts… - Apple Community

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

We all started out not knowing this stuff, much like how we once didn’t knowing we need to have backups of our important data. Many of us learned that the hard way.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Backups are an important part of our security too, should our devices be lost, damaged, or corrupted.

Mar 16, 2021 2:29 AM in response to Kitten_cat

That is because you changed your email password - you have to put the new password into the mail account of your phone else your phone can't read your mail.

Sending the unsubscribe message:

• Cannot get your phone infected with viruses
  • Cannot allow anyone to hack your phone or your email

Your phone and email are safe.

The only minor consequence, is you have told the spammers that your email is valid and active. You might see an increase in spam emails. These are annoying but not dangerous as long as you don't click any links in them.

Mar 16, 2021 2:46 AM in response to Kitten_cat

All that has happened here is more work for you (that unnecessary password change), and more spam for you (the acknowledgment sent to the spammers).

Spammers can’t get an email password from a clicked link—if that were possible, the whole internet would have caught fire by now as you’re neither the first nor the last to have erroneously clicked on spammers’ links.

Very likely nothing (else) has happened here.

While there is some malware for iPhone and iPad, it’s expense and not widely deployed nor widely invoked. The available malware tends to be used against political dissidents, investigative journalists, high-profile people, those with access to sensitive or classified data, those sort of folks. Not most iPad or iPhone users.

unsubscribe to spam email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.