Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to properly disconnect macbook m1 at night with a connected monitor

Tell me how to properly turn off the MacBook at night if I use it every day. It is connected to an external monitor. But I noticed if I turn off the monitor and the MacBook from the network and leave the MacBook in sleep mode, it consumed from 100% to 80% overnight with the monitor connected via usbhub but with the lid closed. It is necessary to disconnect the usbhub with the monitor from the MacBook and will it not damage the MacBook plug when turning the usbhub off every day?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 1:00 AM

You should be okay plugging and unplugging it every day. The ports are designed to have things plugged into them and unplugged from them all the time. That is the point of them, however, if you are very rough with the ports when you are plugging things and removing things from them, that could cause damage. If you aren't rough, then it should be okay for you to plug things in and out of your computer without causing damage. If you are really worried about it, I would suggest finding an extension cable or something along that line that you could plug into the computer and then plug and unplug the hub into that cable on a regular basis to protect the port on the computer from the constant use.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2021 1:00 AM in response to Tgwhe

You should be okay plugging and unplugging it every day. The ports are designed to have things plugged into them and unplugged from them all the time. That is the point of them, however, if you are very rough with the ports when you are plugging things and removing things from them, that could cause damage. If you aren't rough, then it should be okay for you to plug things in and out of your computer without causing damage. If you are really worried about it, I would suggest finding an extension cable or something along that line that you could plug into the computer and then plug and unplug the hub into that cable on a regular basis to protect the port on the computer from the constant use.

Mar 16, 2021 6:41 PM in response to Tgwhe

Hello Tgwhe,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about shutting down your Mac for the night.

Your Mac still uses power in sleep mode as described here: Save energy on your Mac - Apple Support

"When in sleep, your Mac is still turned on, but it consumes much less energy. And waking your Mac from sleep takes less time than starting it up."

You can look at those power saving options, or just turn shut your Mac completely down using the Apple > Shutdown. Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple Support

Try shutting your Mac down but leave everything connected if you desire. Then see how it starts up and your power levels.

You may also be interested in these tips to preserve your battery: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

how to properly disconnect macbook m1 at night with a connected monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.