Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up

How do I get my text messages to transfer to my new phone?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 5:37 PM

Text messages are included in the backup unless you sync messages with iCloud. So if you don’t sync messages with iCloud, just back up and the messages will be included when you restore the backup.

Syncing messages with iCloud is Settings>Your name>iCloud>Apps using iCloud>Messages>On. If your device is set up that way, you are syncing messages with iCloud. When you activate your new device, that should automatically cause your messages to download from iCloud. If they don’t download, check to make sure that the switch is set to on.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 5:37 PM in response to mmspontaneousxi

Text messages are included in the backup unless you sync messages with iCloud. So if you don’t sync messages with iCloud, just back up and the messages will be included when you restore the backup.

Syncing messages with iCloud is Settings>Your name>iCloud>Apps using iCloud>Messages>On. If your device is set up that way, you are syncing messages with iCloud. When you activate your new device, that should automatically cause your messages to download from iCloud. If they don’t download, check to make sure that the switch is set to on.

Back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.