Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Big Sur, Single Click on Dock Icon no Longer Shifts Focus back to Application

Hi all,

Just updated my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) to Mac OS 11.2.3 from 10.13.6, and I noticed that shifting focus to programs via the Dock no longer works the same way.

I have 3 desktops I use for different purposes, and I have Chrome assigned to desktop 2. Previously, if I was on desktop 1, for instance, I could just click the Chrome icon on the Dock, and it would shift focus to desktop 2, showing the browser window. Now, after the update to 11.2.3, it takes two clicks. First click it changes the menu bar to Chrome, and the second click switches to the open window.

I've tried this with other applications and the behavior is the same. I tried it with Safari, System Preferences, and a few other programs I have installed. Every single one requires two clicks to show the window if I'm on a different desktop. Most other programs just have the 'none' assignment as far as desktop spaces go.

I've searched online and within Preferences, but I can't figure out what is causing this behavior or how to switch it back to how I want it to function.

• I only use the laptop screen, no additional monitors are connected
  • I've made sure the applications and OS are all up to date
  • I've rebooted my computer a few times after the update
  • This happens with every application I try, and is not limited to a single one
  • Desktop assignments in the Dock seem to have no effect
  • Disabling the 'Minimize windows into application icon' has no effect

How can I switch this behavior back to how it was before? Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 6:41 AM

I'm not seeing that behavior. Single click works for me.

My Mission Control settings.

Similar questions

3 replies

In Big Sur, Single Click on Dock Icon no Longer Shifts Focus back to Application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.