Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows move off screen after sleep

I know this has been an on-going problem, but has anyone found a fix? After sleep some application's windows move offscreen. I've also seen issues with, for example, safari where the existing windows are off-screen, but if I open a new window, it gets 'stuck'.. meaning that if I try to reposition it, it snaps back (usually to the far right of one of the screens).

My laptop is pretty much permanently connected to an external monitor, no mirroring.

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 8:28 AM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2021 8:20 AM in response to LovesSleep

Hello LovesSleep, 

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that some of your application windows move off screen when waking your MacBook Pro from sleep. In a situation like this testing the issue while in safe mode and a new user account may help. These articles will provide you with steps on how to start up your Mac in safe mode and how to create a new admin account so you can test the issue: 

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.

Mar 18, 2021 9:05 AM in response to LovesSleep

LovesSleep,

This article explains how testing the issue while in safe mode can help isolate the cause of the issue which can then be used to resolve the issue:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Safe mode is particularly useful when you're trying to resolve an issue that doesn't seem to be associated with using any particular app. As always, keeping your software up to date is the first step toward resolving any software issue."

Testing the issue while in a new user account will help determine if the issue is a systemwide issue or isolated to the original user account. These are troubleshooting steps to help determine what could be causing the issue so the issue can then be resolved.

All the best.

Mar 18, 2021 9:36 AM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

That works great when you have an easily reproducible problem such as failure to startup or some other 'os' oriented issue, and I've used it to good effect. However for an intermittent issue.. maybe once or twice a week, this approach really isn't reasonable... at least not for little old me being a single user on a single system and not set up for testing this at scale.

windows move off screen after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.