Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 11.6 moves windows off external monitor when sleeping

I just upgraded to OS 11.6. Now, whenever my MacBook Pro goes to sleep, it moves all the windows from my external monitor to my laptop monitor. When I wake up the Mac I have to rearranging the windows. Can it be fixed? 

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 2:03 PM

Hello mhutson and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you are having some difficulty with window placement when using an external monitor connected to your MacBook Pro when it comes out of sleep. There are a couple of steps you can take to help isolate the cause of this behavior.

1) Start by doing a safe boot of the Mac. This will clear some cache files, turn off some system extensions and log-in items and give you a good foundation. After doing the safe boot, reboot normally and test.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

2) If the issue persists after a safe boot, set up a new admin user account and boot into that for testing. Doing so helps you to isolate the issue to the system or the user data and ultimately resolve it. 

You can find the steps to add a user here:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 2:03 PM in response to mhutson

Hello mhutson and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you are having some difficulty with window placement when using an external monitor connected to your MacBook Pro when it comes out of sleep. There are a couple of steps you can take to help isolate the cause of this behavior.

1) Start by doing a safe boot of the Mac. This will clear some cache files, turn off some system extensions and log-in items and give you a good foundation. After doing the safe boot, reboot normally and test.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

2) If the issue persists after a safe boot, set up a new admin user account and boot into that for testing. Doing so helps you to isolate the issue to the system or the user data and ultimately resolve it. 

You can find the steps to add a user here:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers.

OS 11.6 moves windows off external monitor when sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.