Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows move off screen after sleep

I have seen this problem mentioned several times one person learned to live with it and another seemed to solve it. It happens to me on occasion as well. I have two 4K monitors attached to my Intel MacBook Pro and sometimes all of the windows for a particular app will be off the far right of the right hand monitor (the left monitor is the login monitor). Quitting the app and restarting it does not solve the issue. Is there some shortcut that would allow me to move them back to the monitor? I can double click the top of the window and it will expand to fill the screen, but then I must resize each of them.

Suggestions

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 11:16 AM

I have had this problem for years. About 4 years ago I bought 4 different monitors to test, etc, etc. The best monitor, which is the one I chose, would not hold the position of ANY application I placed on it. When the computer (This was my macbook pro) would sleep, ALL open widows would reorganize back to the main screen. I contacted apple support and of course, not their problem and then they blamed it on the monitor. Called the monitor company and of course, they blamed it on the computer. I am an IT guy and a programmer and I can almost 100% guarantee it is the OS and window management system. Fast forward to this week 11/25/21, I have had this M1 Mac Mini for 1 year now and I love it. I chose to do the latest OS upgrade to Monterey last Friday and ever since then, EVERY window on every external monitor I have moves to the main monitor after being awoke from sleep. This is OBVIOUSLY the OS and not the monitors. I have been using the exact same hardware for over 1 year now and not one thing has changed except for the OS. Do I expect Apple to do anything, oh **** no, but I just wanted others to know that this is a real problem and Apple doesn't care because they can't figure it out either, so they just blame the monitor(s). Happy computing!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 11:16 AM in response to Paul Kleeberg

I have had this problem for years. About 4 years ago I bought 4 different monitors to test, etc, etc. The best monitor, which is the one I chose, would not hold the position of ANY application I placed on it. When the computer (This was my macbook pro) would sleep, ALL open widows would reorganize back to the main screen. I contacted apple support and of course, not their problem and then they blamed it on the monitor. Called the monitor company and of course, they blamed it on the computer. I am an IT guy and a programmer and I can almost 100% guarantee it is the OS and window management system. Fast forward to this week 11/25/21, I have had this M1 Mac Mini for 1 year now and I love it. I chose to do the latest OS upgrade to Monterey last Friday and ever since then, EVERY window on every external monitor I have moves to the main monitor after being awoke from sleep. This is OBVIOUSLY the OS and not the monitors. I have been using the exact same hardware for over 1 year now and not one thing has changed except for the OS. Do I expect Apple to do anything, oh **** no, but I just wanted others to know that this is a real problem and Apple doesn't care because they can't figure it out either, so they just blame the monitor(s). Happy computing!

Dec 13, 2021 9:02 AM in response to nd4p90x

Ya know, now that you mention it, I have not seen this problem in a while.

One annoyance I still see is when I have my calendar open on my laptop and the second screen above is wider than the laptop, getting info Icmd-i) on the event places the information window off to the left beyond the edge of the laptop screen. Sigh. At least waking from sleep is solved.

Thanks nd4p90x for bringing it to my attention.

Paul

windows move off screen after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.