Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Reset Security Questions when the device to send a security code is no longer active?

I am having trouble enabling two-factor authentication, I forgot the answer to my security questions and the device to send the security code is no longer functioning. (it's a very old device, now that I have a new one, I can't setup my 2-factor authentication.

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:59 AM

If your device you used to receive codes on is not working, then you already had set up 2 factor authentication on your AppleID? Or is that not what your saying? Because if you already enabled 2FA, then you don’t have any security questions to reset. 2FA erases the security questions on your account as the point of the 2FA system is to replace the less secure question based authentication with a better system.

If you only have one device for 2FA and it is not available, you can request a code via SMS text or automated voice message sent to your backup telephone number listed on your AppleID -> Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

If you didn’t set up any backup telephone number, then you will need to contact Apple support for assistance signing into anything with your AppleID on a new device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 7:59 AM in response to bongv

If your device you used to receive codes on is not working, then you already had set up 2 factor authentication on your AppleID? Or is that not what your saying? Because if you already enabled 2FA, then you don’t have any security questions to reset. 2FA erases the security questions on your account as the point of the 2FA system is to replace the less secure question based authentication with a better system.

If you only have one device for 2FA and it is not available, you can request a code via SMS text or automated voice message sent to your backup telephone number listed on your AppleID -> Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

If you didn’t set up any backup telephone number, then you will need to contact Apple support for assistance signing into anything with your AppleID on a new device.

Mar 18, 2021 7:41 AM in response to bongv

If you contact Apple ID Support, tell them you are trying to set up 2 Factor Authentication.

If you are being told there isn't enough information to reset them, contact Apple ID Support.

If you don't know the answers, if the steps in the article below don’t work, contact Apple ID Support, although based on multiple posts I have read, they will not help you recover the answers to your security questions.

Apple ID - If you forgot the answers to your Apple ID security questions.      

From the article below. 

Without proof of your identity via security questions and other carefully selected criteria, Apple Support can't help you reset a password or perform any other actions on your account. These policies are audited and reviewed on a regular basis.

Security and your Apple ID.    

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.    

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.   (Link doesn't always load)  

Get Support    Work through the screens to get a chat option. 

Apple Support schedule phone call

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport

How to Reset Security Questions when the device to send a security code is no longer active?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.