Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot my password for Airport Utility to access the settings of my AirPort Extreme. And the reset button doesn’t work. How can I restore the settings to default?

I forgot my password for Airport Utility to access the settings of my AirPort Extreme. And the reset button doesn’t work. How can I restore the settings to default?

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 1:44 PM

Sorry but you are in a complete bind.

The reset button has to work.. if not the Airport is broken and should be replaced.

How old is this Extreme? It should be possible to open it and physically repair the switch or at least short the terminals briefly.

It maybe possible to use keychain.

See https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3372

I don't find it easy to recover passwords this way.. so good luck.

However in this case it is 90% certain the admin password is the same as your wireless password.. did you try that? Apple airport utility defaults now to using same password for both wireless and admin access to the Airport.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 1:44 PM in response to coco_syms21

Sorry but you are in a complete bind.

The reset button has to work.. if not the Airport is broken and should be replaced.

How old is this Extreme? It should be possible to open it and physically repair the switch or at least short the terminals briefly.

It maybe possible to use keychain.

See https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3372

I don't find it easy to recover passwords this way.. so good luck.

However in this case it is 90% certain the admin password is the same as your wireless password.. did you try that? Apple airport utility defaults now to using same password for both wireless and admin access to the Airport.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.