Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error "Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable" how do I fix this?

I have recent videos from my iPhone, that I am trying to view on MacBook Pro 2019 Catalina 10.15.7

Photos give me an error "Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable" and won't play.

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 4:09 PM

5 replies

Mar 20, 2021 1:41 PM in response to janejanejanejane

Hi there janejanejanejane, 

It's great to have you in the Apple Support Community. We understand you can’t play the videos you recently imported from your iPhone in the Photos app on your Mac. We can help.

Although the steps in this article were created for an older macOS version than the one you’re using, we recommend that you give the steps a try and keep us posted: If you can't play videos in Photos on your Mac

Cheers! 

Mar 20, 2021 5:29 PM in response to janejanejanejane

Although the thumbnail is showing in the library, it does not necessarily mean that the actual underlying video file is in the library. Hence the importance of making sure the copy items box is ticked when importing to make sure the file is copied.

How did you import the file into the library, was it via iCloud photos or direct import from phone?

Error "Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable" how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.