Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to do a clean reinstall of Apple Music without wiping my Mac

Hi,

The Apple Music app on my Mac has been very buggy for months (both on Catalina and now on Big Sur). Some of the problems include:

• Playlists crash/stop playing
  • When I try to add items to my library, I often get the "An error occurred" message
  • Searching Apple Music takes long and often doesn't load at all (searching my library works fine)
  • If I click "Display on Apple Music" next to an artist, it loads the albums from my library instead
  • The app is often either laggy or totally unresponsive

I've tried signing in and out of my account, which didn't help. However, when I installed Big Sur on a separate partition for testing purposes, the Music app on that partition worked perfectly.

Is there a way to do a clean reinstall of the whole app without wiping my Mac or using third-party software? I think that may solve my issues.

Thanks,

Laura

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 5:33 AM

Press and hold down option+cmd as you launch Music. This will open it in safe mode which may sometimes help.

The app itself cannot be reinstalled independently, you would need to reinstall the entire OS, but I don't think that is the issue.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply

How to do a clean reinstall of Apple Music without wiping my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.