Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove no longer used Grouping string? iTunes 12.9.5.5. (and earlier) Grouping field issue.

Almost since its inception I have used the iTunes Grouping field to hold unique strings (e.g. Complete.Album) to allow for the creation of smart play lists based on those included strings. I often have several strings in the field which are comma separated (e.g. Complete.Album, Grt.Amer.Sngbk). At some point in the past I entered an uncapitalized "complete.album" and "complete.album, NNNNNN" and - then later I corrected those to be capitalized. Now in some cases iTunes has started to autocomplete to this lowercase instead of the desired format. Nit Picky I know but it is an oddity I am trying to fix.

When filling in the Grouping field via the information pane "complete.album" is offered as an option yet it no longer appears anywhere in the iTunes database - well at least not in the XML data I can parse.

I have also done a dump via File/Library/Export of the database and searched for the lowercase string "complete.album" and it does not exist.

In general when you stop using a string in iTunes it no longer offers it nor does it appear in the pattern matching list.

I have also looked at the Work and Movement tags as I recall Apple did the Work/Grouping field switcheroo a few versions back. Nothing there.

So can I be lucky and is there small file someplace I can just edit this out of? No I am sure not. I have by now used several scripts to look at all the typical text fields in iTunes to see if I entered it in one of the others e.g. Genre/Artist/Album/etc.

Stupid little bother but now wondering if it is embedded in a song (are there retired tags?) where I can no longer see it. Or it was in a song which has been removed and thus there is no pointer to it.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 5:42 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

How to remove no longer used Grouping string? iTunes 12.9.5.5. (and earlier) Grouping field issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.