Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air touch ID

My Touch ID will not allow me to add finger print. Just says “Failed” without giving me an opportunity to try and add a finger print.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 2:43 AM

Restart in Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at restart. Does a repair disk, clear cache files and only loads Apple Software and Fonts. It will load slowly - normal. Once Logged in it will look and perform differently - also normal. Test by removing all fingerprints and add a New one. Does it allow this to happen in this Mode ( Safe )?

If unsuccessful - again shutdown and connect to charger. For Intel Reset SMC perform 3x . For M1 - Hold Power Button / Touch ID ( same button ) for 10 seconds and perform 3x

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 2:43 AM in response to LFull_3

Restart in Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at restart. Does a repair disk, clear cache files and only loads Apple Software and Fonts. It will load slowly - normal. Once Logged in it will look and perform differently - also normal. Test by removing all fingerprints and add a New one. Does it allow this to happen in this Mode ( Safe )?

If unsuccessful - again shutdown and connect to charger. For Intel Reset SMC perform 3x . For M1 - Hold Power Button / Touch ID ( same button ) for 10 seconds and perform 3x

macbook air touch ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.