Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac issue when idle

I'm having an issue recently where most of the time when my iMac is left idle, it activates the screen saver and then goes to sleep as scheduled. However on occasion, maybe 1 in every 6-7 times, I get something different. It returns to the log in page and while I can shake the mouse and the cursor moves around the screen but I can't click on anything including the log in box. The keyboard doesn't work at all when this happens either.

The only way to resolve the issue is to turn the Mac off using the button the back and restart.

I've done safe boot, reset the PRMA and NVRAM but the issue still persists. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm running Big Sur 11.2.3

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 8:23 AM

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for AVG and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 8:23 AM in response to Jack presley

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for AVG and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

Mar 20, 2021 7:57 AM in response to Jack presley

You can save you and us a lot of time and effort if you do the following:

Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

iMac issue when idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.