Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages: Shortcut: text format replacement

Is there a fast way to replace any text with same text format (colour, fort, height etc.) within a document to another text format? (those text are at random place of the document)

i.e. to replace text in italic to a bold but smaller size at once. both of the italic text are enclosed by <>. the to-be replaced text are not continuous.

normal text. <another format> following by normal text <another format again> normal text

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 7:50 AM

Unlike MS Word or LibreOffice Writer, Pages does not have a Find/Replace that operates on text attributes. So you cannot locate all italic text and replace it with bold. And there is no regular expression facility to find content in those angle brackets either, like in the mentioned word processing applications.

In the past, I have recommended users export their current Pages content to Word, open that in LibreOffice Writer, perform the regular expression/attribute replacement, save the document, and then reopen in Pages.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 7:50 AM in response to jimmymcheung

Unlike MS Word or LibreOffice Writer, Pages does not have a Find/Replace that operates on text attributes. So you cannot locate all italic text and replace it with bold. And there is no regular expression facility to find content in those angle brackets either, like in the mentioned word processing applications.

In the past, I have recommended users export their current Pages content to Word, open that in LibreOffice Writer, perform the regular expression/attribute replacement, save the document, and then reopen in Pages.

Mar 20, 2021 6:38 AM in response to VikingOSX

I know the use of format brush, but what I want is with one step to replace any of the text that using a certain format to another instead of selecting one by one

i.e. to replace text in italic to a bold but smaller size at once. both of the italic text are enclosed by <>. the to-be replaced text are not continuous.

normal text. <another format> following by normal text <another format again> normal text

Pages: Shortcut: text format replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.