Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a gap in my photo library from 2006 to 2011 with only one photo per month. Where did my photos for those years go?

How to recover full years of photos that are missing from iCloud phot library

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 3:03 AM

You may also want to check the dates of your photos. If your photos from before 2011 have been scans or saved photos, and the capture dates and locations may be wrong. Look, if you are finding some older photos among the photos from newer years.

Another possibility is, that the older photos may be in a format, that cannot be uploaded to iCloud.

• If you are finding the older photos on your Mac, check, if you are having an album "Unable to upload" in the sidebar of Photos. If not, create a smart album with the rule "Photo is unable to upload". Is this smart album empty?
  • Is Photos on your Mac still showing "Uploading ... " in the status bar below "All Photos"?
  • Are there any image files in a format different from JPEGs in your Photos Library?
  • If you can find an older photo from before 2011, that is not on your iPhone, what is the file format?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2021 3:03 AM in response to Ealpen

You may also want to check the dates of your photos. If your photos from before 2011 have been scans or saved photos, and the capture dates and locations may be wrong. Look, if you are finding some older photos among the photos from newer years.

Another possibility is, that the older photos may be in a format, that cannot be uploaded to iCloud.

• If you are finding the older photos on your Mac, check, if you are having an album "Unable to upload" in the sidebar of Photos. If not, create a smart album with the rule "Photo is unable to upload". Is this smart album empty?
  • Is Photos on your Mac still showing "Uploading ... " in the status bar below "All Photos"?
  • Are there any image files in a format different from JPEGs in your Photos Library?
  • If you can find an older photo from before 2011, that is not on your iPhone, what is the file format?

Mar 20, 2021 9:36 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi there, thank you for your question. I am looking at the all photos view. As a matter of fact it took me quite a while to scroll backwards through the thousands of photos that were automatically saved from 2021 to 2012 but when I got to 2011 all months were sparsely populated. Hardly any photos and such is the case for every year earlier than 2011... any advice?

Mar 20, 2021 9:54 AM in response to Ealpen

It's really difficult to guess without knowing exactly how you were storing your images back then. When did you first notice these images were missing. When was the last time you are cretain they were not missing? I think the main question is do you have any old backups anywhere that might contain these older images.

Also - what version of MacOS are you running?

Some possibilities:

You have (or had in the past) more than one library with your images split accross them. Or at some point (2011) you migrated to a new machine and started with a new library. Do you have any older libraries somewhere. (I keep two libraries - one only for recent files and one on an external drive for all my images)

Or - you have in the past been using iCloud photos with optimise mac storage selected - so that the master images were not kept in your local library, and just migrated that library a new machine or OS version and stopped using iCloud.

Or - At some point you deleted older images from your mac thinking they would be kept in iCloud - not realising that they are also deleted from iCloud.

Or - You store your library in an external drive with an incompatible format (EG you have not formatted the drive to APFS or MacOS extended (journalled) - and this has resulted in damage to your library.

Or you have had a failing hard drive in the past which has caused loss of images.

Do any of these sound likely?

Mar 21, 2021 2:22 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you! Excellent advice. I will check all of those possibilities. I was assuming I could access all iCloud storage from my iPhone. I am in a remote location with only iPhone but will check my MacBook back-ups and settings once I get back to civilization. I really appreciate your advice and will follow up in this thread shortly. Thank you again!

I have a gap in my photo library from 2006 to 2011 with only one photo per month. Where did my photos for those years go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.