Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing 10 years of photos from iCloud and library

Thousands of photos are no longer in my library on my mac. I only see photos from the past year. I thought they were in iCloud but they are not there either. I'm afraid to do anything for fear possibly deleting them forever. Does anyone know if these photos can be recovered?

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2019 8:44 AM

It is really hard to say, where your photos may have gone to.

When did you see the missing photos the last time? And what happened since then? Did you update any software? Which version of MacOS X is running on your Mac? Are you using iCloud Photos on more than one device and did you delete Photos on another device? Did you change your Apple ID?

Are you running out of cloud storage?

I take it, you already checked your Recently Deleted album?

Have you checked, if you are having more than one Photos Library? As a test launch Photos while holding down the Options key ⌥. Keep holding down ⌥ until the library chooser dialog appears. Now you should be seeing a list of all libraries that are available on your Mac. Try switching between these libraries to see, if another library will have your missing photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2019 8:44 AM in response to cinzin1970

It is really hard to say, where your photos may have gone to.

When did you see the missing photos the last time? And what happened since then? Did you update any software? Which version of MacOS X is running on your Mac? Are you using iCloud Photos on more than one device and did you delete Photos on another device? Did you change your Apple ID?

Are you running out of cloud storage?

I take it, you already checked your Recently Deleted album?

Have you checked, if you are having more than one Photos Library? As a test launch Photos while holding down the Options key ⌥. Keep holding down ⌥ until the library chooser dialog appears. Now you should be seeing a list of all libraries that are available on your Mac. Try switching between these libraries to see, if another library will have your missing photos.

Missing 10 years of photos from iCloud and library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.