Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music tags on mp3s

I'm going to ask this again after a few weeks because someone from APPLE did not or can not answer it and it is very annoying. As of about a month ago I can no longer change these music tags on ANY of my mp3 songs in the Music Ap (iTunes): Album title, Album artwork, tract numbers or comments. I'm running the latest version of iOS - BIG SUR version 11.2.3 which should be the latest version of iTunes. This is on my 2020 iMac, Retina 5K, 27 inch desktop. Why would this happen all of a sudden between upgrades? This does NOT happen on any AAC audio files - just mp3s. I need and answer please.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 10:33 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 21, 2021 1:00 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your reply and I really had hopes that would be my problem. However my security permissions appear to be correct as you showed in you example and LOCKED is not checked, so I still have the problem. As for the workaround that you detailed - with a large library (85,000 songs) with 99.8% of album artwork in place, I just don't dare risk losing any of that by deleting the tags and rebuilding. Are others on iTunes suddenly having this same issue or am I the only one?

Mar 21, 2021 1:36 PM in response to Cosmic Rocker

I wouldn't do anything to the whole library until you've confirmed that it is effective, but if you're only seeing the issue with some MP3 files it would be worth trying the tag conversion method with a single album to see if that helps at all. While you are at it you can check the permissions of files in the particular folder in case they aren't the same as the parent folder. I assume you're not trying to change tags while using AirPlay. Do you have any third party security software? Is you library being actively accessed with Home Sharing from another computer?

tt2

Mar 21, 2021 3:18 PM in response to turingtest2

" I assume you're not trying to change tags while using AirPlay. Do you have any third party security software? Is you library being actively accessed with Home Sharing from another computer?"

How do I know if AirPlay is active? I do not use it that I know of. And I do not use Home Sharing on any other computers in the house. And yes, I use Malwarebytes to check for malware on my Mac.

Mar 21, 2021 4:38 PM in response to turingtest2

Holy cow!!! You solved my problem!!! Thank you so much - I had recently got an Apple HomePod Mini and was using it AirPlay on my Mac. When I disconnected it - I can now change those tags and they hold! I had no idea until you mentioned it. That makes no sense to me why that would prevent me from changing tags but thank goodness you did. Thanks again for your help.

Music tags on mp3s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.