Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur and the hanging APP's

Prior to Big Sur I was running my MacBook Pro 2015 15" on Catalina. I ran for several years on Mojave with virtually no problems. When Catalina was released I upgraded to it. This is where my Apple experience took a turn and and software problems started with the Mail App not working if you have any rules set up. This was annoying but the work around of disabling the rules worked. Big Sur comes along and everything went SOUTH very quickly. Now I have daily hangs (mostly the Mail App) with almost any app I'm using. There isn't a day that goes by that I have to force a reboot. Mostly because the "Force Quit" doesn't work, the MacOS can't even load it up most of the time. Bottom line the MacBook must be rebooted. This is very disappointing and wasn't expecting this from Apple Software. I will seriously consider moving back to Windows 10 mostly because Apple SUPPORT is of no help. They still haven't even fixed the Mail App/Rules BUG. It STILL exists in Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 2:32 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2021 2:32 PM in response to croth53

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Big Sur and the hanging APP's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.