Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (from mid 2010) spits out cd's

My iMac (27" from mid 2010) spits out cd's when i put them into the side slot and does not import into iTunes.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 7:52 AM

But I forgot to mention that it reads certain discs, but not others

I agree with dialabrain; that sounds like a dirty drive. Most optical "combo" drives have more that one lens, and sometimes only one is affected.

The other reason I suspect "dirty" instead of "failed drive" in your case is that most 2009-2011 iMacs used an optical drive with a "failsafe" gate. If the drive truly fails, the gate deploys to prevent users from continuing to insert more disks and compounding the issue.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2021 7:52 AM in response to edyta4547

But I forgot to mention that it reads certain discs, but not others

I agree with dialabrain; that sounds like a dirty drive. Most optical "combo" drives have more that one lens, and sometimes only one is affected.

The other reason I suspect "dirty" instead of "failed drive" in your case is that most 2009-2011 iMacs used an optical drive with a "failsafe" gate. If the drive truly fails, the gate deploys to prevent users from continuing to insert more disks and compounding the issue.

Mar 21, 2021 3:53 AM in response to dialabrain

I didn't think of that. Thank you. But I forgot to mention that it reads certain discs, but not others. I thought it had to do with old discs, but today i tried to play a new CD i just bought yesterday, and it spit that out as well; yet played an older type of disc bought years ago. So given this info, maybe you have some other suggestion for me? Will be appreciated.

iMac (from mid 2010) spits out cd's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.