Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

I have an external monitor that was connected to my previous MBP (Retina, 15 in, Mid 2014 OS 10.13.6). The monitor has VGA and this was connected to the MBP via an adapter that terminated in a Thunderbolt plug. The Thunderbolt plug went into the MBP.

Now I have a new MBP (MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) - OS 11.2.3 (Big Sur) but as this has USB C ports I cannot use the old VGA adapter with its Thunderbolt plug.

However, can I use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter (as mentioned in subject line above) to get the external monitor working with my new MPB?

Thank you in advance.

MwM

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 2:37 PM

You can plug it in, but it will not work.

The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter supports genuine Thunderbolt displays, ONLY. It does not support ANY OTHERS of any description. It is NOT the right tool for this job.

Go back to whatever store you like and buy an adapter than can adapt USB-C (a subset of ThunderBolt-3) to VGA in at most ONE adapter. You generally can not "stack" display adapters

Apple sells this one, but-its pricey:

USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter -- $69.00

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2021 2:37 PM in response to Myrrh - what's myrrh

You can plug it in, but it will not work.

The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter supports genuine Thunderbolt displays, ONLY. It does not support ANY OTHERS of any description. It is NOT the right tool for this job.

Go back to whatever store you like and buy an adapter than can adapt USB-C (a subset of ThunderBolt-3) to VGA in at most ONE adapter. You generally can not "stack" display adapters

Apple sells this one, but-its pricey:

USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter -- $69.00

Mar 22, 2021 5:17 AM in response to Myrrh - what's myrrh

Further to my question about using an external monitor with my MBP Big Sur, do you think I can use an HDMI connection between the MBP and the monitor? I've always associated HDMI with television but would it work in my case?

In the past, with the old MBP, I would have Word open on the MBP and Safari open on the external monitor. Thus I could refer to a web page while writing something in Word. I can do this at the moment by splitting the screen but it would be nice to retain the option of displaying a webpage on the external monitor.

In addition to a VGA output, the Lenovo monitor also has an HDMI socket.

In any case, I plan to get a hub for use with the MBP - but if I get a hub that offers HDMI I guess that all I'd need would be a cable between the monitor and and the hub. This may work out cheaper than getting the special VGA adapter.

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance.

MwM

Mar 22, 2021 8:53 AM in response to Myrrh - what's myrrh

HDMI would give better results than VGA, but going larger than HD TV sets, it drifts into the realm of "Black Magic".

The cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet"  --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard TV set, and not much more.

Mar 22, 2021 1:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you very much.

I guess that's what I'll do.

I'll only ever want to read text from the internet via Safari.

One more query pse: is the plug the same size/shape at both ends of such a cable?

I've just looked at the rear of the monitor and can see a recessed socket with two pins.

I'll need to ensure that the hub has the correct socket.

Is there just the one kind of HDMI plug?

Thanks in advance.

MwM

Mar 23, 2021 9:25 AM in response to Myrrh - what's myrrh

I've just looked at the spec for the monitor and for HDMI it states: 1 x HDMI 1.4 

I've looked at your diagram and the socket at rear of the monitor and it does indeed look like the normal HDMI and not one of the less common mini ones.

There is a bewildering selection of cables on Amazon.

I only want text but don't want to quibble over a pound or so.

Do you think the following would be suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PREMIUM-ULTRAHD-CABLE-SPEED-2160p/dp/B08RCTG86Y/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=19OLUMGLCOJ1M&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+cables+%26+leads&qid=1616516434&sprefix=HDMI+cables%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-7-spons&psc=1&smid=A4PXDANZI2GI9&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExV0tFNVNIM1dMTzQyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTgzMzEyM0pLUk0wNlVDQUpSNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTE0MjQ1MkNGWDhMSzlVMkhMSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Mar 23, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Myrrh - what's myrrh

The cables you cited appear to conform, but are not CERTIFIED for the intended use. If you can get a CERTIFIED cable for about the same price, I would choose the certified cable first.

The cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet"  --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard TV set, and not much more.

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.