Connect LG monitor via HDMI to USB-C

Hi - I have been connecting my LG monitor through a hub into my 16in MacBook because my LG monitor came with an HDMI to HDMI cable which will not fit my 2021 MacBook Pro so needs to route through the hub. The laptop only comes with 3 USB-C ports. The problem with this is that the display usually defaults to 1080p and not 4K and it's a pain to keep adjusting the display every time it falls asleep or is switched off to get a better resolution. It's a pain.

I read that if you connect the screen directly into the mac (no hub), then the native 4k will default. So I can buy an HDMI to USB-C cable - will this be ok and not blow my ports/graphics card?

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 10:32 PM

You say that your 16" 2021 MacBook Pro "only comes with three USB-C ports" and that it won't fit a HDMI-to-HDMI cable. That laptop has a HDMI port. See Apple's pictures of the sides of the laptop in:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) - Technical Specifications

You can buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable and plug it into one of the USB-C (DisplayPort, Thunderbolt 4) ports, if you prefer. Assuming that the cable is properly constructed, this will be OK and it will not blow out your ports or your graphics card. (If a vendor sends you a grossly defective cable that, say, shorts power to ground, all bets are off.)

If you use a HDMI cable, use one that's rated for 4K. (Early HDMI cables were only rated for 720p and 1080i TVs.) If you use a USB-C to HDMI adapter or adapter cable, look for one whose description says that it supports 4K.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2023 10:32 PM in response to brandonspeed69

You say that your 16" 2021 MacBook Pro "only comes with three USB-C ports" and that it won't fit a HDMI-to-HDMI cable. That laptop has a HDMI port. See Apple's pictures of the sides of the laptop in:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) - Technical Specifications

You can buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable and plug it into one of the USB-C (DisplayPort, Thunderbolt 4) ports, if you prefer. Assuming that the cable is properly constructed, this will be OK and it will not blow out your ports or your graphics card. (If a vendor sends you a grossly defective cable that, say, shorts power to ground, all bets are off.)

If you use a HDMI cable, use one that's rated for 4K. (Early HDMI cables were only rated for 720p and 1080i TVs.) If you use a USB-C to HDMI adapter or adapter cable, look for one whose description says that it supports 4K.

Connect LG monitor via HDMI to USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.