Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Max Connection and Sound Issue

My AirPods Max do not pair after putting them down. In cases where they do pair, no audio comes out. I can only get them to work about 20% of the time, by going through the lengthy process of factory reseting. One time, I got the connecting and had audio coming out, but couldn't control the volume and nothing I did would allow me to toggle them into silent or passthrough mode.

These are the 2nd AirPods Max's I've had this issue with. The first set eventually stopped working all together. Nothing I did would get them to connect again.

I guess I'll have to RMA these as well, but I'm curious to see if there is something in my setup that maybe causing this, or if it just needs a new bug fix firmware to be released. I have these paired with an iPhone 12 Pro Max and a MacBook Air (M1) for long extended uses of 4-6 hours on most days.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this without an RMA?

Current Updates/Firmware:

MacBook Air (M1) on 11.2.3 (20D91)

iPhone 12 Pro Max on 14.4.1 (18BD61)

AirPods Max on 3C39

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 3:33 PM

Spent a good amount of time troubleshooting this issue with Apple Support over the phone, going as far as Resetting iPhone, and using a new user profile on MacBook Air to try and make them reconnect to the malfunction pair of AirPods Max, without success.

Apple sent me a new pair, and I was able to get those up and working right away.

Let's hope 3rd pair is the charm. 🤞🏼

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 3:33 PM in response to CarlAVII

Spent a good amount of time troubleshooting this issue with Apple Support over the phone, going as far as Resetting iPhone, and using a new user profile on MacBook Air to try and make them reconnect to the malfunction pair of AirPods Max, without success.

Apple sent me a new pair, and I was able to get those up and working right away.

Let's hope 3rd pair is the charm. 🤞🏼

AirPods Max Connection and Sound Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.