Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing MacBook with device to access Time Machine/Time Capsule

Hi,

My 2015 MacBook Air has died thanks to some spilled tea. It is backed up onto a Time Capsule using Time Machine. I want to access photos on the Time Machine back-up, but I’m not yet sure I want to buy another Apple Mac.

It seems it’s very difficult to access a time machine back-up on time capsule without a Mac (my Windows 10 laptop doesn’t seem able to do it despite me trying a lot of different steps- though I’d welcome any advice on this!). So I’m considering buying the cheapest possible Apple product that will let me access the time machine back-ups.

I was considering a low spec Mac Mini from late 2014, but I’ve read they can be slow- though once I’ve retrieved my files and photos from the back-up it would only be used very occasionally.

Will I be able to install a recent time capsule time machine back-up onto a Mac Mini from 2014? And do you have any advice as to what is the lowest spec (ie cheapest) Mac product that will meet my needs, if you think I’m wrong to aim for that spec of Mac Mini?

Many thanks for your help!

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 9:09 AM

Two things you want to make sure of

That it can run the same or newer OS than the Mac OS on your broken mac.

As long as it can run Big Sure that box is checked:

MacBook introduced in 2015 or later

MacBook Air introduced in 2013 or later

MacBook Pro introduced in 2013 or later

Mac mini introduced in 2014 or later

iMac introduced in 2014 or later

iMac Pro (all models)

Mac Pro introduced in 2013 or later

And that it has a large enough hard drive to restore the full backup

Any mac in that list should do. The 2014 iMac is probably the cheapest of those.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2021 9:09 AM in response to nwrm

Two things you want to make sure of

That it can run the same or newer OS than the Mac OS on your broken mac.

As long as it can run Big Sure that box is checked:

MacBook introduced in 2015 or later

MacBook Air introduced in 2013 or later

MacBook Pro introduced in 2013 or later

Mac mini introduced in 2014 or later

iMac introduced in 2014 or later

iMac Pro (all models)

Mac Pro introduced in 2013 or later

And that it has a large enough hard drive to restore the full backup

Any mac in that list should do. The 2014 iMac is probably the cheapest of those.

Replacing MacBook with device to access Time Machine/Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.