Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail always starts at the top

My mail is sorted with the newest emails at the bottom of the list. Yet when Mail starts up, or even if I go back to it after using a different app, the email at the very top is always highlighted. I then have to scroll down through all my emails to get to the newest ones at the bottom. Is there any way to configure Mail to start up at the newest email which in my case is on the bottom?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 7:10 AM

dhjaffe wrote:

My mail is sorted with the newest emails at the bottom of the list. Yet when Mail starts up, or even if I go back to it after using a different app, the email at the very top is always highlighted. I then have to scroll down through all my emails to get to the newest ones at the bottom. Is there any way to configure Mail to start up at the newest email which in my case is on the bottom?

Try making some changes—

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2021 7:10 AM in response to dhjaffe

dhjaffe wrote:

Try making some changes—

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Mar 22, 2021 8:28 AM in response to dhjaffe

dhjaffe wrote:

I know that that would be a fix if I wanted my newest emails at the top of the list. But I have always had those newest emails at the bottom. So I was just wondering if there was any way to have Mail start at the newest email even if it was the bottom email. It used to behave this way many updates ago but something changed.
Thanks anyway!

Software interface is always changing with each macOS upgrade, you have to adapt or drive your nuts.

I am not sure what I can add to your 'preferred' method—

The only remaining shortcut I know— if it serves any purpose for you(?)— is Control Command T

This will jump you to the top of the list.

Mar 22, 2021 8:19 AM in response to leroydouglas

I know that that would be a fix if I wanted my newest emails at the top of the list. But I have always had those newest emails at the bottom. So I was just wondering if there was any way to have Mail start at the newest email even if it was the bottom email. It used to behave this way many updates ago but something changed.

Thanks anyway!

Mail always starts at the top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.