Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatted now can't install OS

Hi

I've recently formatted my imac (late 2015) to be reset to factory setting.

After formatting and trying to reinstall the OS (Sierra) it's saying that the disk has errors which I can't repair when I try to run the disk utility.

I've tried to reinstall the OS but it only goes half way then exits, I'm kinda in an endless loop of jot being able to start the mac back up properly.

Any suggestions on how I can proceed. I have another mac same year which is working so I can download anything I need to aid the currently not working one.

TIA

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 7:36 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 23, 2021 11:05 AM in response to Recall8

Big Sur did not brick your Mac. Whenever any OS is installed on a computer it makes the storage device do a lot of work by reading, writing and removing stuff. This stresses a drive, if the drive is in good shape it's no problem. If the drive is not in good shape this can push it over the edge.

It's kind of like, if you run a marathon you should be in good shape. If you are 50lbs overweight and have a heart attack while running the marathon it's not the marathon's fault, you just aren't in shape to run it.

Formatted now can't install OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.