Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TouchID not working

I cannot get the touchID (fingerprint) to work on my brand new MacBook air. It is only 2 days old and is up to date. We reinstalled the entire operating system, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 2:13 AM

Use Touch ID on Mac. In what way does it not work? When cold booting the MBA are the expectations to have the Touch ID to log into the computer? If Yes, Look very closely at Log In Screen fine print below User Name - it will say Touch ID can be used once Logged In ( or something like that ). This is by design - having to first input P/W and there after Touch ID should function. If this is not your situation - Try shutting down - HOLD Power / Touch ID Button ( same Button ) for 10 seconds and perform this action 3 times in a row. Restart and Test.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 2:13 AM in response to stace65

Use Touch ID on Mac. In what way does it not work? When cold booting the MBA are the expectations to have the Touch ID to log into the computer? If Yes, Look very closely at Log In Screen fine print below User Name - it will say Touch ID can be used once Logged In ( or something like that ). This is by design - having to first input P/W and there after Touch ID should function. If this is not your situation - Try shutting down - HOLD Power / Touch ID Button ( same Button ) for 10 seconds and perform this action 3 times in a row. Restart and Test.

Mar 23, 2021 1:58 PM in response to stace65

Must ask - is there any AntiVirus software installed? It does interfere with all aspects of the normal operation of the OS can have seen at least 3 Others having issues with the Touch ID not working. It was directly traced back to AV Software. If so, remove it as per Developers instructions. This software is invasive , insidious and is totally unneeded. There are not known viruses affecting macOS but yes there are malware which is in a different category. Should this Car*aware not be present - Disregard.

Mar 23, 2021 6:03 PM in response to stace65

My idea is DON'T USE IT. My life is in ruins after buying an MB Air. I migrated everything and it all seemed fine. Touch ID worked or seemed to. The problems started when I started to log in to my usual sites: Facebook, Google, googlemail, PayPal, eBay and my accountancy provider FreeAgent. None of my passwords worked and although after a day oF intense work and stress I have retrieved access to most of these sites, nothing seems to able to be done to restore my FreeAgent accounts from 2017 to date. I'm stuck with this disaster. I blame something about the Apple ID security routines. Touch ID is A GIMMICK AND IT DOESN'T WORK AS IT SHOULD.

TouchID not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.