Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to locate all occurrences of the same photo in all my albums

When I create albums and add photos to them it is possible that I accidentally put the same photo in more than one album. How can I locate these multiple occurrences of the same photo? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 12:03 PM

There is an AppleScript that will find all of the albums a photo is in: How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's Script, Catalina Version for Photos 5 - Apple Community. The script compiled as an application can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications. The first time you run the app Control (right) - click on it and select Open from the contextual menu.

Also the photo being searched can't be in a nested album or folder or a smart album.

You do know that if an photo is in multiple albums and projects it does not take up any additional space on the hard drive, right? The occurrences in multiple locations are only pointers to the one file in the library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 12:03 PM in response to Chickoo

There is an AppleScript that will find all of the albums a photo is in: How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's Script, Catalina Version for Photos 5 - Apple Community. The script compiled as an application can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications. The first time you run the app Control (right) - click on it and select Open from the contextual menu.

Also the photo being searched can't be in a nested album or folder or a smart album.

You do know that if an photo is in multiple albums and projects it does not take up any additional space on the hard drive, right? The occurrences in multiple locations are only pointers to the one file in the library.

How to locate all occurrences of the same photo in all my albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.