Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync lock to edit podcast? Ripple delete all tracks?

I need to edit a podcast in logic.

So i need to use "delete and move" to cut out some parts and just delete some noisy parts when there is someone speaking on the other track. But when I use "delete and move" its easy to get both tracks out of sync. I tried to group both clips but then i cannot delete any noise on one track when the other person is speaking. Is there something like a "sync lock" in video editing applications? there you always move all tracks when you ripple delete so video and audio stays in sync but you can always erase parts frome every track individually as long as its not a ripple edit?

Or is there a command to ripple delete all tracks even if I only select a part of one track with the marquee tool??

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 11:40 AM

Eddie Grey described all the necessary features very well. So your final workflow is that you use a combination of two features and you have to enable or disable them based on what type of edit you want to do.

• Shuffle disabled: if you want to do edit Regions (move or trim) without affecting the position of any other Region on that same Track Lane.
  • Shuffle enabled: if you want to edit Regions (move or trim) and have the other Regions on that Track Lane update their position accordingly
  • Edit Group disabled: if you want to apply an edit to only that Track
  • Edit Group enabled: if you want to apply an edit to all Tracks that are a member of that Groups

I don't think you need the SMPTE lock feature in your case because it just adds another unnecessary layer to it. Turning Shuffle on or off in the Drag Menu takes care of it. SMPTE lock is more useful when you are messing around with tempo changes.

Edgar R.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2021 11:40 AM in response to PeteHikers

Eddie Grey described all the necessary features very well. So your final workflow is that you use a combination of two features and you have to enable or disable them based on what type of edit you want to do.

• Shuffle disabled: if you want to do edit Regions (move or trim) without affecting the position of any other Region on that same Track Lane.
  • Shuffle enabled: if you want to edit Regions (move or trim) and have the other Regions on that Track Lane update their position accordingly
  • Edit Group disabled: if you want to apply an edit to only that Track
  • Edit Group enabled: if you want to apply an edit to all Tracks that are a member of that Groups

I don't think you need the SMPTE lock feature in your case because it just adds another unnecessary layer to it. Turning Shuffle on or off in the Drag Menu takes care of it. SMPTE lock is more useful when you are messing around with tempo changes.

Edgar R.

Mar 24, 2021 9:02 AM in response to PeteHikers

Groups can work well for batch edits.

Not sure if this can help but here it is.

Shuffle Mode description: One Region with silence in between them

Enable Shuffle Mode LEFT and cut the space between. I prefer the flexibility of the Marquee Tool. Once you create the dit, the space is gone but another thing happens... the audio information on the right immediately shuffles next to the region on the left.

Best of Luck in your endeavors,

Eddie G.

Mar 24, 2021 7:41 AM in response to PeteHikers

Hey there,

Please look into SMPTE locking. I believe this will help lock your regions. CTRL+Click the regions you wish to lock and find this in the contextual menu.

If you would like to clean up audio with the touch of a key command, I highly recommend “Remove Silence from Audio Region”. Key Command is CTRL+X. Although it works on one region at a time, it is a very efficient way of editing silent spaces on audio regions.

Hope this is helpful,

Eddie G.

Mar 24, 2021 7:46 AM in response to EddieGrey

Thanks Eddie!

I tried it as well, but then I am not able to ripple delete anything at all because everything stays at its fixed position.

I would like to move everything together - like grouped clips - but still have the ability to edit individual tracks..

Remove Silence is a great feature! I use it all the time. But still I have to delete noise manually sometimes, because its no silence ;)

So there is nothng like - "delete and move all tracks" or sync lock?

Mar 26, 2021 12:06 PM in response to PeteHikers

I tried to edit just on the timeline ruler using "cut section beween locators", but I randomly get a "signature time change" error message, so I have to do this first: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130243

But then it works, I can delete on all tracks and prelisten to my edit using the skip interval..

By the way: is there a shortcut to start playback a few seconds before my selected region, skip the region and then play the part after the selected region?

sync lock to edit podcast? Ripple delete all tracks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.