Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot relink media after importing fcpxml file

Hello,

I'm trying to import a project from Da Vinci resolve 15 into Final Cut Pro 10.5.2. The timeline with all the cuts and organisation imports successfully but the media cannot be relinked in FCP.

All of my media files are m4v files. Not sure if that's relevant but they're too big for me to convert in any case.

The message I get reads:

File could not be relinked.
The original file and new file have different audio source and channel counts.

Screenshot is below.

I don't understand what's going on because the media file I'm trying to relink to is the original media file (I checked several times). I tried exporting other timelines from DaVinci 15 to Final Cut Pro and tried moving the original media into several different locations. It gives me the same error each time.

Is there anyway for me to force it to relink the file or force it to replace the media file? It's a shame because like I mentioned, it has all the cuts in the right places.

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 8:46 AM

Well, not ideal but I figured out a workaround.

I decided to edit the fcpxml file directly in Textmate. There, I updated the path to the video file manually so that it would match the location on my computer (the file came from a different computer so the user directory name was different).

So to summarise, this is how I personally solved my issue:

1. Open the fcpxml file in a free code editor like Textmate.
  2. Search for the media's path and change it to where it is stored on your computer.
  3. If you have loads of different media files like me, you can put them all in the same location and then in Textmate do a search & replace on part of the directory path... that way you can change each path with one click.
  4. Re-Import the fcpxml file into Final Cut Pro.

If anyone has better solutions feel free to post them below of course.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2021 8:46 AM in response to Samotivad

Well, not ideal but I figured out a workaround.

I decided to edit the fcpxml file directly in Textmate. There, I updated the path to the video file manually so that it would match the location on my computer (the file came from a different computer so the user directory name was different).

So to summarise, this is how I personally solved my issue:

1. Open the fcpxml file in a free code editor like Textmate.
  2. Search for the media's path and change it to where it is stored on your computer.
  3. If you have loads of different media files like me, you can put them all in the same location and then in Textmate do a search & replace on part of the directory path... that way you can change each path with one click.
  4. Re-Import the fcpxml file into Final Cut Pro.

If anyone has better solutions feel free to post them below of course.

Cannot relink media after importing fcpxml file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.