Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get past New Contact when adding one

Hello, I'm trying to add an email address to my contacts so that Mail will let it through when I receive a message. When I go to add it by clicking the Add button and then New Contact, as I am entering the information, the info pane abruptly converts to this:

and at the same time, I see No Name appear at the bottom of the contact list, like this:

What am I doing wrong? I don't get a chance to fill in anything and click Done before it bombs. Elapsed time that I am able to type anything is about 9-10 secs. Thanks for the help!

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 4:58 PM

8 replies

Mar 25, 2021 2:52 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for trying! I was following the instructions for Safe Mode, as such:

Intel processor

1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shiftkey as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
  3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

Problem is, I can't get past #2 because I never get a login window, and if I did, what do I log in with? So I hold down Shift forever until it looks like my usual desktop and I let go. No login window, no "Safe Boot" anywhere.

Mar 25, 2021 3:33 PM in response to Socamanslider

Good you checked out Safe Mode and too bad it will not work for you. So, without this Technique to isolate the root cause - we basically could not even hope to boot to Recovery Mode ( Command + r ) immediately at startup to do a Disk Repairs or for that matter Re-Install macOS.

Can on suggest to reconsider the method of login to the computer - but only suggestion.

Unable to get past New Contact when adding one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.