Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from MacBook to External Hard Drive

I would like to transfer photos from my 2011 build MacBook Pro to an external hard drive. I do not want to simply copy my Photos library; I want to have the photos available to be viewed by a PC. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 4:23 AM

If you want to access the photos on a PC, then you'll need to export the photos from the Photos Library. Simply highlight the photos, select export from the menu bar and choose format/size as well as folder location.

However, if you have a large library and you want to maintain album structures then you can either export on an album by album or you might be able to use a script to maintain the folder structure for you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2021 4:23 AM in response to jp1954

If you want to access the photos on a PC, then you'll need to export the photos from the Photos Library. Simply highlight the photos, select export from the menu bar and choose format/size as well as folder location.

However, if you have a large library and you want to maintain album structures then you can either export on an album by album or you might be able to use a script to maintain the folder structure for you.

Transferring photos from MacBook to External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.