Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

End to End Encrypted Data recovery?

I had to reset my iPhone SE recently and would like to get my data back. What does it mean by me being able to approve the iPhone using another device? I don't want to have to delete the encrypted data.

iPhone SE

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 7:38 PM

Hello Aer_salv,

We see you're prompted to enter the passcode from a trusted device but your device detects the passcode entered is incorrect resulting in reseting your encrypted data. We'd be happy to assist.

What you're seeing is a normal part of the flow that protects certain sensitive user data, such as passwords, credit card numbers, and Messages stored in iCloud. Approving access enables your data to be read on the device you are signing in on. Apple doesn't know and can't read this encrypted data.

Do you have more than one trusted device with your iCloud? If so, have you tried using an alternate device to approve your current iPhone? The following resource outlines how to approve a device as a trusted device: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

If you don't have an additional device to approve your current device you'll have to reset your encrypted data. Keep in mind, this will remove content saved in iCloud such as your passwords, credit card numbers and more.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2021 7:38 PM in response to aer_salv

Hello Aer_salv,

We see you're prompted to enter the passcode from a trusted device but your device detects the passcode entered is incorrect resulting in reseting your encrypted data. We'd be happy to assist.

What you're seeing is a normal part of the flow that protects certain sensitive user data, such as passwords, credit card numbers, and Messages stored in iCloud. Approving access enables your data to be read on the device you are signing in on. Apple doesn't know and can't read this encrypted data.

Do you have more than one trusted device with your iCloud? If so, have you tried using an alternate device to approve your current iPhone? The following resource outlines how to approve a device as a trusted device: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID

If you don't have an additional device to approve your current device you'll have to reset your encrypted data. Keep in mind, this will remove content saved in iCloud such as your passwords, credit card numbers and more.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

End to End Encrypted Data recovery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.