Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about a 5,1 processor in a 4,1 Mac Pro

I have a 2009 Mac Pro with a 5,1 processor, and that's been flashed to 5,1 firmware. I am running Mojave 10.14.6, although it's not 100% perfect. My processor is a single 2010-2012 3.33GHz 6-core with four RAM slots and 32GB RAM. And I don't know how they got it into my 2009 Mac Pro. Did they install a 2010/12 processor on a 2009 processor tray? The reason I ask is because I want to install a dual 2010-2012 3.46GHz 12-core processor with 8 RAM slots so I can run a faster processor than my 3.33GHz 6-core, and max out my RAM to 128GB if I can. Can anyone help explain what kind of Mac Pro I have? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

P.S.- I bought it on eBay.

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 4:21 PM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2021 5:18 PM in response to budget_Apple_customer

After the firmware has been flashed to 5,1 firmware, you can replace the processor chip with a 6-core processor.

(Kids, don't try this at home, these men are professionals.)

Now the computer that started its life as a 4,1 is effectively a 5,1 processor chip as well. But it is NOT a 5,1 when it comes to swapping the entire processor shelf, and should you attempt that, you will find out how loud the fans can run, non-stop at maximum, 24 hours a day.

--------

In every case I have seen, processing power is NOT the limiting factor. Careful analysis, especially of drive performance and drive competition and other I/O issues, provide enormous improvements in throughput.

Except for Compressor, the only popular App that really is limited by processing power.

Question about a 5,1 processor in a 4,1 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.