Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Shortcut for Numbers

Hi!

So I used the Shortcuts app to make a shortcut where I input a numeric value and then a text value and they get properly placed inside a specific table in a Numbers spreadsheet.

It used to work just fine until a few days ago when the updates were released. Now, it works until it opens the file but it won't add the values to the table. The only way it works is if the file is already open. The issue is present in both the iPhone and iPad.

I tried the new feature in numbers where the file is set to open in edit mode automatically, but it had no positive effect.

Any way around this? any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 7:44 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 28, 2021 5:16 AM in response to sterling r

Im having the same problem, I’ve done a script on the Shortcuts app to help me fill the spreadsheet that I’m using as a budget tool, and after the update it stopped adding rows to the tables.

I have a few scripts to do different things on the same file, and none is working. I’ve just tested a new script with a new test file, and it added a row exactly once, but after creating another sheet and another table on this test file it stopped working altogether.

On the image, I’ve managed to add “4 D” with a script, but now even this simple task is not working anymore.

I hope this gets fixed soon, I’ve been using these scripts for a while now and they’ve been really helpful.

Thank you.

Mar 28, 2021 5:17 PM in response to dcarlosdasilva

Hi!

So I've tried your solution and it works! However if I close the spreadsheet and go back to the main Numbers menu where you can see all you other Numbers files and the close the app, next time I run the script it stops working again. But if I close the app right from my budget spreadsheet, next time I run the script it works because the app opens right in the budget spreadsheet!

So, since the problem, like you said before, is the time it take to the app to open I came up with another solution. I added an Open File command and a Wait 3 seconds command. It does the trick and wether you close the app right from you budget spreadsheet or even from another one, next time you run the script it'll work. I tried Wait 1 and 2 seconds but didn't work.

Hope it helps!

Mar 28, 2021 8:56 AM in response to sterling r

Hello sterling!

This is the only script I use with the Numbers app, I have multiple instances of the same script in order to fill different tables across different sheets of the same file and all of them are failing.

Unfortunately the problem persists even with a new instance of the script applied to a new test file. The only way it works is if I keep the Numbers file open in the background at ALL times (this is what I've been doing the past days since the app update).

If I close the Numbers file, when I run the script again it stops halfway. It will receive the input, it will open the file but won't add the data to the table.

Thank you for your quick reply, hope this gets fixed soon!

Cheers

Mar 28, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Juancho90

I’ve just tested it and, indeed, it works with the file open, thank you!

So, with this information I’ve tried to add a command to open the file before the it adds a row, and it still didn’t work.

However, I was wondering if the problem is that it was trying to add the row while it was opening the file. So I’ve put a command to open a message (with an OK button) after opening the file. Now, I can wait for the Numbers app to finish initializing before I let it continue (by pressing OK). I’ve just tested it and it works!

Well, it’s not the best solution, but it’s easier than manually adding the row.

Mar 29, 2021 12:33 AM in response to Juancho90

Nice!

I had also put a timer, but I didn’t want to rely solely on that, since I have an iPhone 6s and things are starting to get slower :(

I don’t know how long it’ll take for it to open the file in a few months.

So I have a short timer and the message saying something like “Did it finish opening?”.

In any case, I’m glad I don’t have to manually put the data. I feel like the combination of Shortcuts + Numbers could be really powerful, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like the devs have this as a priority right now. It not even something that’s tested before the update is launched.

Thanks!

iOS Shortcut for Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.