You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID password not working to update AppStore software on macbook

Hi, I am using this password for apple id for quite a while without any issues. Now, I am trying to update a bunch of software in app store and trying to use the same password. But it not accepting this password! I have no idea as I did a quick check by logging into id.apple.com with the same password and it works. Even I am logging this support ticket in Apple communities using same password. No clue why it didn't work for app store (itunes) software update. Please help.

MacBook

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 1:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 4:30 AM

Thanks @skaye40. May I know what did you do to solve that issue on your ipad? It's quite annoying on my MacBook and I am still not able to solve it! I can't update apps on the app store, also I want to remove this 2FA option from the system preferences. Can you give me a little bit of steps to solve this issue? I would be grateful.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2021 4:30 AM in response to Skaye40

Thanks @skaye40. May I know what did you do to solve that issue on your ipad? It's quite annoying on my MacBook and I am still not able to solve it! I can't update apps on the app store, also I want to remove this 2FA option from the system preferences. Can you give me a little bit of steps to solve this issue? I would be grateful.

Mar 26, 2021 6:52 AM in response to raheel78

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.   

Apr 18, 2021 2:55 AM in response to raheel78

I am having the same issue on the IPad Pro. Can’t update the App Store as it won’t recognise the Apple ID password even with trusted number verification codes when I try forgotten password. I looked on purchase history review and signed in with the correct password no problem. It’s just the App Store update that is the issue.

Apple ID password not working to update AppStore software on macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.