Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Services data usage

Hello

My System services, specifically security services has started burning through my cellular data on iOS 14.4.1 and now 14.4.2. Please, what can I do to stop it?

Tried factory reset today, did not help.

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 1:24 PM

Got the exact same issue. Seems that Security services is gobbling insane about of data. I've captured the data being sent over the cell network (everything is secured using TLS 1.2 or 1.3) but end up on the 17.0.0.0/8 subnet. So it's data sent back and forth with Apple owned Services, and cannot be controlled by the user (or it's background tasks that is doing this).

Because of the secure nature of the network traffic, it's hard to guesswork what it being used and the logs don't seem to give any insights. However, one thing is for sure, it's something tied to the AppleID. One thing worth mentioning, this network traffic is also happening on Wi-Fi but since most Wi-Fi access are unlimited or with high caps, it's not noticeable. But turning off data and only using Wi-Fi showed the same odd traffic pattern. The fact it's happening on cell network is just more observable.

I've logged out of my AppleID on my device, restarted it (shutdown and cold boot) and there is no further traffic (or very little)

Opened up a case and entered a bug report on the dev website, but so far, very little seems to be known about this right now. I'm somehow happy to see I'm not insane and not the only one having issues like this, and moreover happening on various carriers (even more intriguing)

Would be nice to see if those affected are using family sharing feature or not.

95 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 1:24 PM in response to gekonn

Got the exact same issue. Seems that Security services is gobbling insane about of data. I've captured the data being sent over the cell network (everything is secured using TLS 1.2 or 1.3) but end up on the 17.0.0.0/8 subnet. So it's data sent back and forth with Apple owned Services, and cannot be controlled by the user (or it's background tasks that is doing this).

Because of the secure nature of the network traffic, it's hard to guesswork what it being used and the logs don't seem to give any insights. However, one thing is for sure, it's something tied to the AppleID. One thing worth mentioning, this network traffic is also happening on Wi-Fi but since most Wi-Fi access are unlimited or with high caps, it's not noticeable. But turning off data and only using Wi-Fi showed the same odd traffic pattern. The fact it's happening on cell network is just more observable.

I've logged out of my AppleID on my device, restarted it (shutdown and cold boot) and there is no further traffic (or very little)

Opened up a case and entered a bug report on the dev website, but so far, very little seems to be known about this right now. I'm somehow happy to see I'm not insane and not the only one having issues like this, and moreover happening on various carriers (even more intriguing)

Would be nice to see if those affected are using family sharing feature or not.

Apr 3, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Spiderdaimi

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem since Mid March.

Security services used 70GB of my cellular data plan.

I tried the following:

• Restart
  • Network reset
  • Full erase
  • DFU reinstall of IOS 14.4.2

Everytime, I restored my iPhone backup from iCloud.

I'm using Family Sharing, but I'm the only one affected

My phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I have created a ticket at Apple Support by they had no clue so far.

Help needed.

I tried to check the Console Logs of the iPhone, but I did not observe anything weird.

May 5, 2021 7:28 AM in response to gekonn

@Spiderdaimi, @J_Tsags007, and others,

I think I have addressed the issue. Here is my current working theory and where my devices stand now.

I'm still pretty confident that it was a corrupt keychain issue. One keychain item or the whole keychain, it doesn't really matter. What mattered was that every device I was syncing this keychain to was showing some form of the same clobber-all-upload-bandwidth issue, AND I could not turn it off. I'm in a pretty good place now, and here is what I did to get there:

• Sign out of my iCloud account on all devices.
  • Log into iCloud.com and change the password. Select the option to force a logout to get any devices I may have missed (looking at you, TV). I hadn't changed this password in far too long.
  • Log back into iCloud on my MBP and quickly disable keychain sync. I selected the option to keep a local copy of my passwords.
  • It stuck this time. I waited for about 20 minutes, opened/closed System Preferences more than once to keep verifying, and even rebooted the laptop twice. It stuck (Huzzah!).
  • There was a flurry of upload and download activity to and from the cloudd process for these 20 minutes, which was expected, then sweet, sweet quiet (on the network).
  • I gave it a bit more time, then logged into iCloud on my iPhone, and... Success! The Keychain sync switch was still in the off position. Once again, saw significant up/down network traffic for about 20 minutes, then sweet, sweet quiet.

I still haven't re-enabled keychain sync yet. Will probably try that tomorrow some time after confirming my iPhone's battery life has been restored. My phone has been remarkably cool to the touch all morning too. I believe that the local device password is used in combination with your iCloud to encrypt the keychain data. I think somehow that process got corrupt on all of my devices, and changing the iCloud password forced a re-encryption process that fixed the issue. At least that's what I'm hoping happened and this frustrating chapter of my iCloud life is now behind me. I'll post again if the problem returns, but consider my radio silence from here on out to be a Good Thing®.

Hope this helps!

Apr 12, 2021 11:09 PM in response to marc.sauve

It looks like the Apple servers are going even madder! This is pfTop on my firewall, while the phone is connected to WiFi. A connection started while another one was already running. They both uploaded 1.4GB in 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAtxixSRbQk

The case I opened with Apple is stagnant, just as I feared.

Who's going to pay for all the costs incurred? I'm already out a couple hundreds in Internet fees.

Jul 2, 2021 4:42 AM in response to gekonn

I have the same problem, security services ate 3.7gb of data in one hour! Apple have we waffle and washed their hands to the problem and told me it was my carriers (Vodafone) issue, they told me that it was a known problem with iPhones and the latest OS. So stuck, with a phone that I have to keep mobile data turned off! I think now is the time to move to Android!

Mar 26, 2021 6:38 PM in response to gekonn

I'm having exactly the same problem. Security services within system services is draining my data plan, a 16 GB plan. I recharged it 5 times and it is becoming really expensive. Mu carrier in Mexico said that it could be an app that is prompting security services. This stated around Friday March 19th. Not sure if it make sense. Anyone experiencing the same problem? Any idea on how to fix it? The following pic was taken 2 hours before a reset

Mar 27, 2021 11:03 AM in response to gekonn

I just tried something that seems to be working. I reset only network setting. Go to General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. You will loose all your pre set wifi networks and will connect only to your carrier's cellular carrier. I just did it 30 mins ago and just used only 28MB. Could you please try it and let me know if it also working for you? Cheers

Apr 4, 2021 8:43 AM in response to gekonn

Hello. Here is something that worked for me but it is quite painful and requires work and time (did it over the weeked). My phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max with iOS 14.4.2. In addition to having tried network reset, full erase, reintasll of iOS 14.4.2 from the phone and from my Mac as suggested by the Apple call center. Finally and wath solved the problem, I completely erased it again (the erase All Content and Settings option) and I set it up as a new phone. Before doing that, I backed up everything that can be backed up on iCloud and then restored it from there. I installed the apps one by one manually. It took me a few days to get the phone back to the way it was before (I say similar because now it is optimized) but the important thing is that the problem of disproportionate data ussage from security services has been solved. It's been a week since I did all this and security services has not used a single Kb of my cellular plan. I repeat, this solution is painful and requires effort but it worked for me. I hope it helps too.

Security Services data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.