Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem connecting MacBook Pro to TV

I am running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.7 on my 2012 MacBook Pro. When I try to connect to my TV to use it as a monitor, the only image that appears on the TV is Catalina island. Can anyone tell me how I can view videos and get the sound to work? Any help will be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 1:16 PM

if your Mac shows ANY picture on the external display, it is working as designed.

Now about the details of how it is designed to work:

Your Mac is often set to "Extended Desktop", and what is displayed is an extension of the desktop background, with no windows overlapping that background. The added display is concatenated along an edge to the existing display.

The blue block are Icons, sized by screen size, and can be repositioned to show the relative display positions on your bench. Then the mouse moves freely across the 'boundary' between displays, and can drag a window all the way, or part way across. A window parked across two displays will scroll "the right way" -- properly updated on each display.

There are different ways you can use the two displays as well. Just ask.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2021 1:16 PM in response to FrankBig

if your Mac shows ANY picture on the external display, it is working as designed.

Now about the details of how it is designed to work:

Your Mac is often set to "Extended Desktop", and what is displayed is an extension of the desktop background, with no windows overlapping that background. The added display is concatenated along an edge to the existing display.

The blue block are Icons, sized by screen size, and can be repositioned to show the relative display positions on your bench. Then the mouse moves freely across the 'boundary' between displays, and can drag a window all the way, or part way across. A window parked across two displays will scroll "the right way" -- properly updated on each display.

There are different ways you can use the two displays as well. Just ask.

Problem connecting MacBook Pro to TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.