Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents on both, my computer and iCloud Drive

I was about to do some work and suddenly realised (upon clicking on my Documents) that they're all gone. They're however all in iCloud Drive.

I would like to have my OWN documents in MY own computer AS WELL AS in iCloud Drive.

How do I do that...?

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 9:32 AM

The default for iCloud Drive is that your documents are both on iCloud Drive and on your Mac (Finder "Go" menu > iCloud Drive). That should always be the case unless you turn on the Optimize Mac Storage option. If that option is on and you turn it off, your documents should sync back to your Mac. See the description below from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2021 9:32 AM in response to rodifromluzern

The default for iCloud Drive is that your documents are both on iCloud Drive and on your Mac (Finder "Go" menu > iCloud Drive). That should always be the case unless you turn on the Optimize Mac Storage option. If that option is on and you turn it off, your documents should sync back to your Mac. See the description below from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again. 

Documents on both, my computer and iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.