Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accessing files

My phone was destroyed. I need urgent access to a file which is stored in a folder in the file directory of my iphone only. My phone was backed up to icloud only. icloud.com does not give you access to the file directory. How can i access files stored in folders on my iphone from an I cloud backup only? Is it possible to download the entire backup? If yes how do i get access to the file directory? I do not have a new iphone to restore with the backup, to gain access to the file in this way.

Thank you!

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 7:07 AM

Hi dmtri2012,

To make sure we're on the same page, it sounds like you need access to a file in the Files app that was stored locally on your iPhone's internal storage, is that correct?

The files and folders that you add to the Files app on an iOS device either store on the device locally or sync to iCloud: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If the files were syncing to iCloud, they would not be included in an iCloud backup because that selected data is set to sync to iCloud already: What does iCloud back up? Files synced to iCloud in the Files app can only be accessed from a device that is signed in with the Apple ID they are synced with in iCloud, too: Use iCloud.com

Also, if the files were being stored locally on your iPhone and you performed a backup on a computer at some point to save them, you still do not have the ability to selectively view or restore specific files only from within a backup. You would need to restore the entire backup to another iOS or iPadOS device in order to regain access to that data: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup 

Let us know if you have more questions after reading these details. Or, if we misunderstood where you were saving these files, feel free to reply back with more details.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 7:07 AM in response to dmtri2012

Hi dmtri2012,

To make sure we're on the same page, it sounds like you need access to a file in the Files app that was stored locally on your iPhone's internal storage, is that correct?

The files and folders that you add to the Files app on an iOS device either store on the device locally or sync to iCloud: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If the files were syncing to iCloud, they would not be included in an iCloud backup because that selected data is set to sync to iCloud already: What does iCloud back up? Files synced to iCloud in the Files app can only be accessed from a device that is signed in with the Apple ID they are synced with in iCloud, too: Use iCloud.com

Also, if the files were being stored locally on your iPhone and you performed a backup on a computer at some point to save them, you still do not have the ability to selectively view or restore specific files only from within a backup. You would need to restore the entire backup to another iOS or iPadOS device in order to regain access to that data: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup 

Let us know if you have more questions after reading these details. Or, if we misunderstood where you were saving these files, feel free to reply back with more details.

Take care.

accessing files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.