Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.4.2 Rapid Battery Drain

I updated my iOS to version 14.4.2 last evening. Today I charged my device to 87% (from 50) and removed it off the charger. Within a two hour span my battery drained to 51% while using OneNote. Additionally, my phone gave off quite a bit of heat during this time. So much so that I had to put my phone down out of concern and discomfort. I know this can’t be normal. Are there any recommendations for fixing this issue? My mind immediately goes to downgrading the software, however 14.4.2 is a security patch, so I’m reluctant to attempt installing 14.4.1.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 3:55 AM

I had originally posted that my battery was draining and after reading some suggestions someone said it took time after a software update for the phone to update the "flux capacitor" or something like that....I'm happy to say that after a few days the phone seemed to improve after whatever it needed to do and now the battery life seems back to normal. So it was very frustrating at first an immediately noticeable after updating to IOS 14.4.2 but worked itself out after a few days and a couple of reboots.

Similar questions

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 3:55 AM in response to fruitprint

I had originally posted that my battery was draining and after reading some suggestions someone said it took time after a software update for the phone to update the "flux capacitor" or something like that....I'm happy to say that after a few days the phone seemed to improve after whatever it needed to do and now the battery life seems back to normal. So it was very frustrating at first an immediately noticeable after updating to IOS 14.4.2 but worked itself out after a few days and a couple of reboots.

Mar 29, 2021 2:17 PM in response to dprov

Hi dprov,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with battery drain after you updated your iPhone's iOS. We'd like to help.

After an updated, there can be a period of about 48 hours, where you may see a decrease in battery life. This can happen as things are being indexed and updated in the background. After 48 hours, you should expect to see your battery performance to return to normal.

This resource can give you some information on how your iPhone Battery and Performance are connected.

If after 48 hours, you are still experiencing issues with your battery, it may be best to Contact Apple Support for additional help.

Hope that helps!

Take care.

Apr 11, 2021 5:13 AM in response to CarlAVII

It has been way longer than 48 hours since this update installed on my iPhone12. I have never seen a phone battery drain so fast in all my years owning them. I can not ever rely on this phone holding power for the shortest of trips without connecting it to a power source.

All my guys that have androids are laughing at me for continuing to use Apple products. I am starting to feel like a fool.

Apr 11, 2021 7:38 PM in response to dprov

My phone is struggling to charge past 60 and 70. And so is my iPad it’s starting to aggravate me. I just paid to replace my iPads battery because I thought it was toast but now my phones been doing it too. I have 6 brand new chargers so obviously it was the update I’m on my iPhone 11 and iPad 6th gen please fix this issue

May 5, 2021 11:51 AM in response to fruitprint

It’s the same for me. Fully charged at 8:00am and by 6:00pm drained down into the red. My usage is same as it was before - the phone battery would easily last until at least midnight. I have an iPhone 11. Also, since the upgrade (14.4.2), my fingerprint recognition on my iPad no longer works. Please sort this out, Apple.

iOS 14.4.2 Rapid Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.