Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding specific links as home screen icons? (not the main page)

For some websites, it seems that choosing the option “Add to Home Screen” creates an icon that always redirects to the site’s main page, even if you intended to link to a specific part of the site (and thus a different URL). When choosing the icon’s name, you can see that the URL below incorrectly corresponds to the main page when the issue occurs, and you cannot click on it to modify it either.

Is there any way around this? And if not, is the inconvenience caused by iOS or the website alone?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 5:16 PM

Thank you for the response! Copying the URL is indeed part of the answer, but how you can use a copied URL to make a home screen icon remained unclear. Fortunately, your answer helped me find a precise workaround method for my iPhone 8.

Essentially, you must:

1- Copy the desired URL

2- Turn Airplane mode ON

3- Go back to Safari, enter the URL and go to the site

4- After the loading fails, click the sharing button and choose the option “Add to Home Screen” as normal

You will then be asked to edit the name for the icon (again, as normal), but this time you will have “forced” the choice of your specific URL.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2021 5:16 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Thank you for the response! Copying the URL is indeed part of the answer, but how you can use a copied URL to make a home screen icon remained unclear. Fortunately, your answer helped me find a precise workaround method for my iPhone 8.

Essentially, you must:

1- Copy the desired URL

2- Turn Airplane mode ON

3- Go back to Safari, enter the URL and go to the site

4- After the loading fails, click the sharing button and choose the option “Add to Home Screen” as normal

You will then be asked to edit the name for the icon (again, as normal), but this time you will have “forced” the choice of your specific URL.

Adding specific links as home screen icons? (not the main page)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.