Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access "Macintosh HD" on networked computers

This used to work. I can connect to the other computer and I can actually access my home directory, which is within Macintosh HD. I can also access three drives attached to that computer. However, I can no longer access Macintosh HD itself. If I click on it it says

The operation can't be completed because

the original item for "Macintosh HD" cannot

be found.

If I try Go->Connect to Server I get the same list of shares, but again, I cannot access Macintosh HD, and I get a similar message. This one says

Check the server name or IP address, and then try

again. If you continue to have problems, contact your

system administrator.

Unfortunately, I am the system administrator and am unable to provide any assistance to myself :,). Also, I can connect to the other shares so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

As I said, this used to work. I don't know when it stopped. It could have been a security update. I am currently running 10.14.6 on both computers.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 10:31 PM

Is the Macintosh HD drive shared on these machines? It's not shared by default.

To check, open System Preferences on the target Mac and from there, the Sharing pane. There will be a check in the box to the left of "File Sharing" if you can access other drives but you also have to give specific access rights. Select File Sharing and look at the list of Shared Folders to the right of it. If Macintosh HD is not in the list you'll need to add it by clicking the "+" under the list, browsing to the drive and clicking the "add" button. Once added (or if it's already there) select it and check the access permissions in the Users list.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2021 10:31 PM in response to rbpeirce

Is the Macintosh HD drive shared on these machines? It's not shared by default.

To check, open System Preferences on the target Mac and from there, the Sharing pane. There will be a check in the box to the left of "File Sharing" if you can access other drives but you also have to give specific access rights. Select File Sharing and look at the list of Shared Folders to the right of it. If Macintosh HD is not in the list you'll need to add it by clicking the "+" under the list, browsing to the drive and clicking the "add" button. Once added (or if it's already there) select it and check the access permissions in the Users list.

Mar 29, 2021 10:00 PM in response to rbpeirce

I'd not normally attempt to share the full hard drive and didn't test it before posting. I've just shared the drive on one of my Macs and, when attempting to access the share, I ran into the same problem. I haven't seen anything to suggest this was an intentional change by Apple but other than separately accessing each subfolder of the root directory I don't know if there is any way around the problem.

Apr 10, 2021 6:31 AM in response to rbpeirce

on Catalina macOS 10.15.7 I had the same problem as you described.

In the Sharing section of the preferences pane I added my home folder in the shared folders section. I made sure the "Users" section of my Home folder included Administrators and my User Name and both had read & write ability. I was then allowed to login on the network and have full access to the drive. I hope this works for you.

Apr 10, 2021 7:42 AM in response to ricktheman

By home folder do you mean "Macintosh HD" or your actual home directory? My "Macintosh HD" directory contains a "Users" directory. My home directory doesn't. Also, Macintosh HD is already in my shared folder list, but rbp isn't. I'm away from home right now so I can't try any of these things but I can't see how changing Users would affect my ability to access Macintosh HD.

I just discovered that changing permissions in the shared folder list doesn't stick. When you re-open preferences it only shows the previous setting. However, if you add a directory, like rbp, and set permissions it does stick.

Apr 10, 2021 8:25 AM in response to rbpeirce

yes, I mean add your actual "home folder". Your right your Mac HD will already be in there.

in Sharing, in preferences folder, make sure "file sharing is checked and highlighted.

in Shared folders section you mac HD will be there but you will need to add your personal "home folder".

select your home folder in the "Shared folders" window and make sure Administrators and your name (home folder) are set to read and write.

Can't access "Macintosh HD" on networked computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.