Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and Paste

Hello

Suddenly when I try to take a .jpg image and put it on a folder the image does not come up at the top of the window shown below. It is shown at the bottom of the window that I have attached. This is when I got to 'get info' and select the image that I want to copy and paste on a folder icon. If someone can help figure this issue out I will be sincerely grateful. TIA

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 12:48 AM

Open the image you want to paste in the Preview app.

click Edit> Select All then Edit Copy.

Open the info panel for the item you want to paste the copied image to

and press Edit> Paste or Command-V.

4 replies

Mar 29, 2021 5:56 PM in response to Herb Mesler

Apple changed the way you make custom icons for folders etc a long time ago,

can't remember with which OS.

If you are having trouble opening items your mac might benefit from restarting in

Safe Mode, How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

Safe Mode takes a long time to start up, be patient.

Run a few tasks in Safe Mode then restart normally.

Mar 29, 2021 6:22 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Good Morning Eau (or whatever time of the day it is at you digs!)

It is 0617 here and I just woke up so took me a couple minutes but I did what you suggested and BINGO! .... It worked. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I had run out of ideas to try. Just as a side note do you have any idea why the old way I have used for years and years stopped working? From time to time for the last few months a picture (.jpg for example) will not open up and I get a warning window. Forget what it says but to fix the issue I just quit Preview ... it re-opens and all is good. Wonder if the two issues are related. But ... bottom line ... thank you so much for your help.

Apr 9, 2021 11:32 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hello again Eau

For some reason I seem not to be able to follow the instructions that you gave me.

For sure your info worked but now I am missing something.

If it is not to much trouble could you go over them once again. In just a little more detail?

I got as far as 'click Edit> Select All then Edit Copy.' but the next step of ' press Edit> Paste or Command-V.'

now does not work. The option Paste does not come up for me.

Thanks so much for your time.

The first time I tried it I did find it a bit confusing but figured it out. For sure I am not now figuring it out.

Copy and Paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.