Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add SMS contact that is a 5 digit "short code"

As part of covid vaccination process, the Indiana state board of health texts me from a 5 digit short code. I would like to add to contacts but it adds the number with a dash e.g. "451-79" and won't show the contact name I added in messages, just 45179. Is there a way to eliminate the "-"?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 2:44 PM

I suggest you change your approach dramatically to achieve your objective (adding this entry as a Contact) as follows:

• Open a message you have received from this sender.
  • Tap the encircled “i” near the top.
  • Tap “info” toward the right.
  • Tap “Create new contact”.
  • Add whatever information you like.

Yes, the number will contain a dash, but all the information you entered should apply to this message sender.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2021 2:44 PM in response to Another alias

I suggest you change your approach dramatically to achieve your objective (adding this entry as a Contact) as follows:

• Open a message you have received from this sender.
  • Tap the encircled “i” near the top.
  • Tap “info” toward the right.
  • Tap “Create new contact”.
  • Add whatever information you like.

Yes, the number will contain a dash, but all the information you entered should apply to this message sender.

Mar 29, 2021 7:34 PM in response to sberman

i have tried from the "i" and added 3 different ways and the messages always indicates they are from 45179 and not the contact created. Tried using Indiana as the first name, SDOH as last name; with all as company name; with all as first name or last name (removing each contact when it did not work). None of these link the added contact to the message.s I suspect the "-" is interfering with the ability to link in iOS 14.4.2 if not just a flat out restriction for SMS short codes as a contact. This has proven to be true for attempts of all the short codes I receive (UPS, FedEx, USPS...). Unless there is another secret, guess iPhone users will have to remember what each short code represents.

Add SMS contact that is a 5 digit "short code"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.