Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN disrupts local network?

I installed Mullvad VPN on my Mac mini, running Catalina, and got it all configured. I was happy with it, so I logged into my home server on my home network (A Mac mini running Mojave) using screen sharing, and installed the Mullvad there too.

After the app on the server connected to the VPN, the local connection was lost, and now I cannot reconnect to the server either through file share or screen share. The server isn't appearing in the sidebar under network. I cannot connect through the go menu using the server's local IP address either. The same is true when I try to connect to the server from my MacBook. (I can connect the macbook to the desktop, and vice-versa)

Nor can I connect to it using the VNC viewer on my iPad. But when I use the Net Analyzer app, I can see the server's IP address connected to the network.

I wouldn't think the VPN would disrupt the local network, but is it possible that's what happened?

Do I need to dig the server out and plug in a screen and keyboard to troubleshoot?

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 8:51 PM

Tesserax wrote:

Just to be sure, are you running VPN clients or servers on both of these Macs? Does this VPN offer both "split tunnel" & "full tunnel" modes?

Tesserax has posed the key question. My employer requires a specific VPN with a specific configuration to access certain company secure sites. We used to be able to use either "split" or "full" tunnel. With "split," all local network points (printers, servers etc.) can be accessed. With "full" tunnel, I can't even print to printers on my local network and cannot access local network servers. My employer now no longer is allowing "split tunnel" as it is more vulnerable, apparently.

If your VPN allows "split tunnel," you might try that as it may allow better access to your local network but it is less secure.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2021 8:51 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

Just to be sure, are you running VPN clients or servers on both of these Macs? Does this VPN offer both "split tunnel" & "full tunnel" modes?

Tesserax has posed the key question. My employer requires a specific VPN with a specific configuration to access certain company secure sites. We used to be able to use either "split" or "full" tunnel. With "split," all local network points (printers, servers etc.) can be accessed. With "full" tunnel, I can't even print to printers on my local network and cannot access local network servers. My employer now no longer is allowing "split tunnel" as it is more vulnerable, apparently.

If your VPN allows "split tunnel," you might try that as it may allow better access to your local network but it is less secure.

Mar 29, 2021 2:41 PM in response to dylanfromdurham

dylanfromdurham wrote:

I wouldn't think the VPN would disrupt the local network, but is it possible that's what happened?

Of course it does. This is how a VPN works and its purpose. A VPN creates a tunnel to a private network at the other end of the tunnel. Routing traffic to another network, like your local network, is not possible while using the VPN.

Why are you using a VPN? Are you connecting to your place of business network?

Mar 29, 2021 3:28 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Of course it does. This is how a VPN works and its purpose. A VPN creates a tunnel to a private network at the other end of the tunnel. Routing traffic to another network, like your local network, is not possible while using the VPN.

Except I wouldn’t expect the traffic on the LAN to go through the VPN; it never leaves the house. Plus, I’m running the VPN on my desktop and laptop and they have no problem seeing each other on the LAN. It’s just the server.

To be clear, we’re talking about all devices connected to my router inside my house. I’m not trying to connect to something remote.

Mar 29, 2021 3:57 PM in response to dylanfromdurham

If your vpn client and server do not allow local network traffic, then get a different vpn.

Make sure the vpn service is not logging and selling your traffic.

Note: I have to use a vpn for work, and work tells the vpn server, no local LAN traffic, and the vpn server tells the vpn client, so I cannot access any local devices when I’m on the company vpn network.

VPN disrupts local network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.