Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor blues

Having read the Apple description of setting up an 8-year-old external monitor with my new iMac 27", I am failing to determine why the second display will not connect.

My old iMac connected to the monitor by way of a mini DisplayPort cable to the monitor's DVI cable. When I bought the new computer I was told to buy a USB-C adapter to connect to the other adapter (Miniport) That has not worked, the second monitor is not seen by my computer.

Today purchased a HDMI cable and appropriate USB-C adapter, using the HDMI con section on the monitor. The monitor messages "check the cable connection".

Any insights for me? Do I need to replace the monitor?

Jim / Sitka, AK

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 8:08 PM

Basically you are wasting your time, Target Display Mode will not work with a 2020 iMac. Do yourself a favor, return the expensive cables you bought, visit your local Costco and buy yourself an nice 1080P display for about $100-$130.

3 replies

Apr 3, 2021 10:58 AM in response to 1norcoast

Ignore the above advice. Target Display Mode is not relevant to an external monitor, unless that monitor is an iMac.

I had a problem connecting a Dell monitor to my MacBook Pro; the problem turned out to be a cheap $10 HDMI adapter, when I needed an "active" adapter that performed the necessary digital voodoo on the signal. The one that worked for me cost $20 on Amazon.

You can get a $7 adapter that has HDMI at one end and USB-3 at the other, but it's not going to work. (I have no idea what they're actually good for.) Look for an "active" adapter in the $20-$30 price range. Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter costs a ridiculous $67, but you know it will work, and it should drive any monitor that you might imagine getting in the future.

External monitor blues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.