Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imported photos and iCloud photos

If I import photos from my iPhone to my Mac and still keep my iCloud photos on on my Mac and my iPhone would that duplicate the photos on my Mac or what would happen?

Is there a way I can keep both iCloud photos on and import my iPhone photos to my Mac once in a while, without it duplicating on my Mac

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 5:46 AM

How are you using iCloud Photos on the iPhone? With "Optimise iPhone Storage" enabled? This may create duplicates, when you manually download the photos from the iPhone. The reason is, that the duplicate detection of the Mac can only recognise exactly identical files. But the files the Mac is downloading from iCloud may not be exactly identical to the files the iPhone has downloaded from iCloud. The creation dates may differ. When you import manually from the iPhone you have to check manually for duplicates. And the Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC should be set to "Keep originals". The photos must not be converted to a different format when downloading.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 5:46 AM in response to KNlGHT

How are you using iCloud Photos on the iPhone? With "Optimise iPhone Storage" enabled? This may create duplicates, when you manually download the photos from the iPhone. The reason is, that the duplicate detection of the Mac can only recognise exactly identical files. But the files the Mac is downloading from iCloud may not be exactly identical to the files the iPhone has downloaded from iCloud. The creation dates may differ. When you import manually from the iPhone you have to check manually for duplicates. And the Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC should be set to "Keep originals". The photos must not be converted to a different format when downloading.

Mar 30, 2021 4:41 AM in response to KNlGHT

Unpredictable, but a strong chance of creating duplicates.

You should only use one form of transfer between devices. If you are using iCloud to sync your libraries, then you should not also transfer via manual connection/usb.

Just let icloud do the syncing. If you seem to be waiting a long time for that to happen, remember you need to open the photos app on your phone for it to upload to iCloud. Normally for me it only takes a couple of minutes to sync new photos. Obviously it can take a bit longer for videos.

Mar 30, 2021 6:40 AM in response to léonie

It’s just that I don’t have enough storage anymore for my iCloud. I also don’t have enough iPhone storage either. I want to transfer all my photos to my Mac, but, my iCloud storage does not have anymore space to take in the other photos I have and upload it to my Mac.

but thank your for the insight, and stay safe

Imported photos and iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.