Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power down iPad between use

I recently purchased a new iPad Air. It is used early in the morning and in the evening. To preserve battery and extend my device’s lifetime, should I power off my device? My grandson suggests that it will shorten the device’s lifetime to power down and power up instead of putting into sleep mode.

Thanks!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 10:16 AM

Tell your grandchild that you find their concern over any potential inheritance to be amusing. 😉

Only time I shut down an iPad is when I’m planning on storing it for a while, or when there’s a power outage and I’m stretching.

I do expect to replace the iPad every five to seven years, due to wear and tear and due to its hardware aging off of iPadOS support. By the time I’m looking at a battery replacement such as with an old iPad Air 2 from ~2015 with a failed battery and a dinged display, I’m also looking at replacing the whole iPad due to wear and tear.

Here is what Apple suggests: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Out of warranty battery replacement is USD$100, if it comes to that.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 10:16 AM in response to candace78

Tell your grandchild that you find their concern over any potential inheritance to be amusing. 😉

Only time I shut down an iPad is when I’m planning on storing it for a while, or when there’s a power outage and I’m stretching.

I do expect to replace the iPad every five to seven years, due to wear and tear and due to its hardware aging off of iPadOS support. By the time I’m looking at a battery replacement such as with an old iPad Air 2 from ~2015 with a failed battery and a dinged display, I’m also looking at replacing the whole iPad due to wear and tear.

Here is what Apple suggests: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Out of warranty battery replacement is USD$100, if it comes to that.

Power down iPad between use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.