Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does CMD tab bring up a minimized window?

why does it not bring the window to the front? what is the point of bringing up a window that is still minimized? why do I have to press the awkward combination of cmd+option+tab to bring it to the front?

this seems to be intended but I have no clue why anyone would want to bring up an application that is still minimized?

anyone to change it to just be cmd+tab to bring it to the front?

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 7:09 PM

is no one reading my actual question? I know that it switches windows my question is why does it switch to a window that is still minimized (forcing me to CMD + TAB + OPTION)

9 replies

Mar 31, 2021 7:25 PM in response to Calvin_BT

CMD + Tab will switch to the app you want, the problem is that often times even though you have switched to the app, it does not bring the window for that app to the front (which seems totally pointless) so you have to press CMD + TAB + OPTION buttons (an awkward combo) to switch to the app you want and bring its window to the front where you can see it.

My question is why does normal CMD + TAB switch to a window that is still behind other windows. What is the intended functionality, what is the point of that? Why would anyone ever want to switch to an app that you still cant see because its window is behind other windows. Why do they force the user to do CMD + TAB + OPTION button which is a very awkward combination for something the normal user has to do pretty often if they want to use hotkeys to switch between windows/apps.

Mar 31, 2021 8:07 PM in response to ieatmodels

My question is why does normal CMD + TAB switch to a window that is still behind other windows.

The Application Switcher (cmd-tab) does not switch to a window. It switches to an Application.

What is the intended functionality, what is the point of that? Why would anyone ever want to switch to an app that you still cant see because its window is behind other windows.

It should switch to the Application in the state it was in when you left it. Was there a window minimized in the app when you switched away from it? Otherwise, I can't get it to do what you are describing.

There is an option in Mission Control to switch to a space with an open window when you switch to an app.

Why do they force the user to do CMD + TAB + OPTION button

What does that do? It doesn't do anything on my Mac.

Mar 31, 2021 3:21 PM in response to ieatmodels

Hi there ieatmodels,

We understand you're looking for information on keyboard shortcuts. In addition to those you mentioned, you can find additional shortcut options for navigating and performing actions, here: Mac keyboard shortcuts

Apple is also always interested in hearing about features and options you'd like to see in the future. We suggest sharing your thoughts, here: Apple - Product Feedback

Cheers!

why does CMD tab bring up a minimized window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.